Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to do to register my student in your school?

To register a student, please make sure you have first withdrawn your student from the previous school. After that, please provide us with the following:

  • 3 proofs of residence
  • Immunization form (blue 680 form)
  • Entry form (Provided by our front office)
  • Birth Certificate
  • Social security card
  • Physical exam
  • Report card from previous school with promotion status

Please also bring any other withdrawal forms or papers you received from the previous school. If your student has an IEP, EP, or a 504 plan, please bring us a recent copy to help expedite the process of placing your student in the appropriate classes. Once the student is enrolled at Greenwood Lakes, we will request the rest of the records from the previous school.

What courses are required?

All 6th grade students will automatically be enrolled into the following courses:

  • Language Arts 1
  • Math 1 or GEMs Math
  • Earth / Space Science
  • World History
  • Physical Education
  • iJourneys

All 7th grade students will automatically be enrolled into the following courses:

  • Language Arts 2
  • Math 2 or Algebra 1
  • Life Science
  • Civics
  • Physical Education
  • Peer Counseling

All 8th grade students will automatically be enrolled into the following courses:

  • Language Arts 3
  • Math 3, Algebra 1, or Geometry
  • Physical Science
  • US History
  • Physical Education
  • Workplace Technology Applications

Students who scored a 1 or a 2 on the Reading FSA for the previous school year will automatically be enrolled in an Intensive Reading class. Students who scored a 1 on the Math FSA will be enrolled in an Intensive Math class.

What are the various levels of difficulty for each course?

There are 2 levels of difficulty usually offered for the core courses: Standard and Advanced. The Advanced level is appropriate for motivated students who have done well in a certain subject and would like to challenge themselves. These students should be willing to put in extra time for homework and studying.

How do I help my child decide between standard or advanced courses?

When registering for classes for the upcoming school year, it is important to consider your child's current grades in each subject as well as their work ethic. Advanced level courses will naturally involve a larger amount of homework. Students who choose advanced level courses should have earned a B or above in the subject the previous school year and be willing to put in more time and effort into their course work. It is recommended that students choosing advanced level courses have earned at least a 3 on the previous school year's Reading FSA. For those looking to go into advanced math courses, a level 3 or above on the previous Math FSA is recommended.

When will students be registering for the upcoming school year?

The registration process for the following school year usually begins in January. It is during this month that students will begin receiving registration information and materials.

I want to change one of my child's classes. How can I get a schedule change?

Due to class size restrictions and the complexities of the master schedule, we are unable to do any more schedule changes at this time.

What high school will my 8th grader be attending next year?

To find out which is the zoned high school for your student, please visit the Seminole County Public Schools Zone Search page.

How do I set up a conference with my child's teacher?

To set up a parent/teacher conference, please call 407-320-7658 and provide the names of the persons you would like present at the conference. Parent/Teacher conferences are scheduled for Mondays and Thursdays at 8:30 AM. You may also try calling the specific teacher you want to meet with to find out their availability.

How do I get Skyward access?

To receive Skyward access please visit the front office and fill out the Family Access form provided. We will then provide you with your Skyward username and password. Please make sure to bring photo ID, as we are only able to provide access to parents/guardians with custody of the student.

I already received Skyward access but am having trouble logging in.

If you are unable to log in to Skyward, it might be necessary to reset your password. Visit the front office as soon as you are able to and we will reset the password for you. Please remember to bring photo ID.

What do I do if my child is absent?

If your child is absent, please call the front desk at 407-320-7650 to let the school know and bring in a written excuse or doctor's note to the front office as soon as possible. Once a student accumulates 10 unexcused absences, a truancy meeting will be set up with the school social worker, so please be sure to keep track of your students' absences and deliver excuses in a timely manner. Please make sure that your child requests any make-up work they missed from his/her teachers.

My child will be out for several days. How can I pick up his/her make up work?

Please email each teacher to request your child's make-up work for the days that s/he missed. Please allow teachers 24 hours to provide this for you. Make-up work can be collected at the front office or emailed to you by the teacher.

Where does my child catch the bus?

To find your child's bus stop, please visit the Seminole County Public Schools Bus Stop Search page or call 407-320-7521 to contact the Transportation Department.

I want my child to attend a different school. What are my options?

Please visit the Student Assignment & Program Access department website to learn more about transfer and magnet school options, requirements, and procedures.

Our family is moving and my child will be attending a different school.

If your child will no longer be at Greenwood Lakes, please make sure to come by the front office and withdraw him/her as well as turn in any books your child may have received from the school. You will then receive all the necessary paperwork to enroll your student at their next school. Calling the front office ahead of time can speed up the process.

My child is struggling in class. What can I do?

If your child is struggling, please contact the teacher as soon as possible to discuss the situation. You may also want to schedule a parent/teacher conference in person by calling 407-320-7658.

My child is being picked on. What should I do?

If your child is having problems with other students, please contact either Ms. Yaschika Mims at 407.320.7609 or Ms Megan Waller at 407.320.7677

If the situation is happening in a particular class, please contact both the Dean of Students and the teacher for that class so they can attend to and monitor the situation.

How do I fill out a free / reduced lunch application?

You may find the Free/Reduced Lunch Application on the SCPS Dining Services website.

This application must be completed yearly.

My child forgot his/her lunch number.

If your student does not remember his/her lunch number, the front office can provide the student ID number.

Students and parents have access to student ID numbers in Skyward.

Our family is struggling financially and we need help. Where can we go?

The Seminole County Public Schools FIN (Families In Need) department can help struggling families in many different areas. Please contact the FIN department by calling (407) 320-0294.

I'm not receiving any materials from the school in the mail.

If you have not been receiving any materials from the school, it is possible that the address on file is out of date. Please call the front office at 407-320-7650 to verify that the address on file is correct. If the address is incorrect, please bring copies of 3 proofs of residence for your current address so that we can update the information in the system to ensure that you remain up to date on the latest events concerning your student.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.